Fire Department

Fire protection is provided in the Red Springs area by the Red Springs Volunteer Fire Department. There are 31 volunteer firemen. The department is equipped with 3 pumpers and one tanker, and has an NBFU rating of 6. Fire protection is provided by the department for areas outside the corporate limits of the town.

Brief History of Red Springs Fire Department

A fire in 1906, which destroyed many of the businesses on Main Street in Red Springs, was the catalyst which led to the formation of the Red Springs Volunteer Fire Department.  Following the fire, the town purchased a fire engine at a cost of $1,100 and 500 feet of hose.  Cisterns were placed at various points in town to provide water for the fire fighting equipment could throw a stream over the tallest buildings in town. The department was organized with 25 men. L.M. Cook was the first fire chief and the equipment was stored at the motor and machine company on West 3rd Avenue.

In 1924, the town purchased a new fire truck. By this time the equipment was housed under a metal structure that was build behind Judge J.N. Buie's office on main street. Judge Buie's office also served as Town Hall.  Later a fire house was built beside the Police Station.

Bus Singleton donated the property where the present fire station is. The building was built in 1987 and includes 4 truck bays, offices, large meeting room, kitchen, storage, and shower room. The station is equipped with an automatic generator system that provides complete power for the station in times of power outage.

Today, Red Springs fire department has 31 dedicated firefighters, and equipment that is equal to any department in the area. Equipment includes a 1994 E-one custom pumper with built in foam system, a 2000 GMC E-one pumper/tanker, a 2004 freightliner E-one pumper/tanker, a 1990 Dodge 4x4 brush truck, and a self contained 2000 watt emergency lighting system.